Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Shifting Perspectives

In my last blog, I mentioned that our perspectives shape our attitudes. How can I change my perspective on things that seem so obviously terrible and hopeless? The best way to change my perspective is to shift my frame of reference and see things through a different lens. Like a photographer wanting to get the best shot, we can change our lens or distance from the situation.

Was I born with my lens, or did I come by it naturally through years of experience? Does the fact I’m a middle child determine how I act and react to people around me? Do my parents influence my way of thinking? Does my education or social class give a sense of entitlement? Most likely ‘yes’ to all of the above.

For the longest time, when I was given a task that was too easy for me, or excessively repetitive, I would react with disdain and resentment. Hoards of negative thoughts would flood my mind, and it was easy to blame others for my inconvenience. I held most of my thoughts inside, but I know they leaked out in different ways.

Then  a mentor  encouraged me to shift my frame of thinking. My job is to accept people, places and things exactly as they are, and see how I can change myself. It isn’t easy, and doesn’t come naturally. At the same time, it is the only thing that I can truly change.

My perspective of, “I’m too good for copying, pasting and transposing data onto spreadsheets,” needed to change. I thought about the greater good I’m working for, the missions and values of my organization, the fact I’m here to serve and am truly lucky to have a job.

As I consistently thought about the holistic nature of my task, I was able to shift my perspective. Shifting to a ‘greater good’ perspective allowed me to shape my attitude into a positive and productive work-mode.

It’s simple, but not easy. It takes practice, willingness and determination to shift age-old perspectives. Give it a try, it can only make things better.

Good Practice
1. Write down a recent situation when you had a negative attitude about a task. What was going on? Why didn’t you like what was happening?
2. Write down a situation that happened at least 10 years ago when you didn’t like having to do something.
3. Do you notice any patterns with your thoughts and attitudes about both situations?
4. What experiences in your life have shaped your thoughts, perspectives and attitudes?
5. What actions can you take to shift your perspectives?

No comments:

Post a Comment